History
In the early decades of the 1900s, the Jewish Consumptive Aid Association, which had done so much to help victims of Tuberculosis, decided to change its mission and began to focus on helping the chronically ill and disabled. In 1942, they opened the 50-bed Jewish Incurable Hospital in East End Montreal. Soon after, it changed its name to Jewish Hospital of Hope.

Twenty-five years later, it became apparent that there was a shortage of nursing homes for Montreal’s Jewish elderly. In 1970, the 44-bed Jewish Nursing Home opened its doors in the former nurses’ residence of the Jewish Hospital of Hope.

With the need for further expansion, and to be closer to the community, both institutions relocated to new state-of-the art buildings in the Cote-des-Neiges area in 1993, with a total of 320 beds. The new buildings provided an enormous improvement in the quality of long-term care available to the community.

Provincial government legislation that was introduced in 1992 had the aim of consolidating long term care institutions that were located in the same area. In December 2000, an integration process was completed and the two institutions became one: the Jewish Eldercare Centre.



About Us | History | Mission Statement | Therapeutic Care | Admissions Info
Resident / Family Info | Newsletter | Contact us


Centre | Foundation | Auxiliary | Volunteers | Careers | Donations | Newsletter | FAQs | Contact Us
Copyright © 2009 Jewish Eldercare Centre All Rights - Reserved
Best viewed using Internet Explorer at 800 X 600 Screen Resolution